- The highest skifields in Australia, all within Kosciuszko National Park
- Centred on the Snowy Mountains region and crowned by 2,228-metre Mt Kosciuszko, Australia’s tallest peak
- The summit area of Mt Kosciuszko is a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve, which has 20 species of plants that occur nowhere else in the world
- Great Snow NSW packages available
Why go there
Mountain air doesn’t come any purer than this. Adventure activities, from winter sports to cycling, caving, rafting, kayaking and horse riding – plus bracing mountain walks – make your stay exhilarating. Australia’s highest mountain, Mt Kosciuszko, looks down on sub-alpine snowgum woodlands and tall forests of alpine ash and mountain gum.
In winter you can go night skiing, downhill or cross-country skiing, snowboarding or tobogganing. All resorts cater for novices and experienced skiers as well as families.
In summer the Snowies are perfect for a touring holiday, perhaps staying in one of the region’s many bed-and-breakfast properties. Take in historic country towns, mountain flowers, grazing wallabies and grand scenery.
- Fishing for trout in mountain streams, crisp lakes and deep dams (fishing licence required).
- Hiking to Kosciuszko peak, past glacial lakes with breathtaking views of the valleys and ranges that make up one of the world’s unique and most scenically dramatic ecosystems.
- Tasting cool-climate wines in Tumbarumba, home to many of Australia’s best sparkling wines made from pinot noir and chardonnay.