- Subtropical valleys to the south of Mt Warning
- Famous for its World Heritage-listed rainforests and national parks, and alternative lifestyles
- Ten hours’ drive north of Sydney, or one hour south of Gold Coast Airport
Why go there
To the south of Nightcap National Park, Lismore and the surrounding area is a hidden jewel between the rainforest and the sea, offering a relaxed blend of city convenience and country charm.
Also known as the Rainbow Region, it contains nearly one third of NSW’s forest reserve, where you can explore heritage-listed rainforests and national parks. Stay in self-contained cottages or guesthouses, or camp out under the stars.
Things to do
- Trek to Minyon Falls in Nightcap National Park.
- Follow the local arts trail to see beautiful sculptures, glass blowing, mosaics and Aboriginal art.
- Walk to the base of Protestors Falls from Terania Creek Picnic Area in Nightcap National Park.
- Enjoy great dining around the region at restaurants, cafes and fresh from the farmgate.
- Follow the Scenic Tourist Drive 32 from Murwillumbah to Lismore via Uki, Nimbin, The Channon and several World Heritage national parks.
- Thought-provoking art at Lismore Regional Gallery.
- A cool ale at Uki’s pub looking out over World Heritage scenery.
- Delicious dining at Paupiettes in Lismore.
- The Channon Market, near Nimbin, for fantastic home-grown and homemade goods, and organic produce.